Wednesday, May 19, 2010

In my absence [shortened version]

Excuse my laziness of being on here. A friend of mine came into town and we were busy the whole time and the time that I was on here I was trying to keep up with people's postings! The trip with Larry being here wasn't bad, we didn't do anything exciting but we did go to Charleston the day before he went back home. You can't really go wrong going to Charleston... it's such a pleasant place to go. Right now I am at my mom's place because I wasn't scheduled to work until Thursday so I have been cleaning and watching the pup during the day and just hanging out with mi madre once she gets home.

Here's the email I got from my father about my cousin. background-- My dad did a century ride Oct 25th of last year and this email was sent to everyone that helped to donate money to his ride:

Hello Everyone,
I hope you doing okay. It's been a long time since I last emailed you - I think my last email was sent out at the end of October. Because of your commitment to my ride with Team in Training and to Chrissy, I feel obligated to update you on the latest news.

To say that 2010 has been a rollercoaster ride would be an understatement. In March, I drafted the follow email to send to each of you but life got in my way and I never sent this out:

Since we last spoke a lot has happened with my niece, Chrissy. In November she received her last chemo treatment at MD Anderson prior to going home for the holidays. Then in January Chrissy went over to the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa to receive a life changing, her bone marrow transplant. The procedure was to receive one last chemo treatment - to remove any cancer cells and to prepare her body for the transplant. Then the bone marrow transplant would occur. Her donor was her older brother and I believe they transferred approximately 10 million 'baby/young' stem cells to Chrissy to help "reprogram" her body to produce cancer-free blood. From what I've been told the transplant was a success. Over the next 90 days her body would start to accept the new stem cells and begin to produce new blood.

Earlier this month, Chrissy had a bone marrow test and my sister told me that: "Christina and I went to the Clinic yesterday and the results of the bone marrow came back. She had NO Leukemic cells in the bone marrow. HURRAY!!!!!!!! The doctor was so happy with her progress." So things are looking good. There is still more obstacles in her future, but it is looking much better.

Chrissy will be returning home soon. Around Easter time. She is leukemia-free and ready to start rebuilding her life and to spend time with her family. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

That was March, since then much has changed. Chrissy did come home the week following Easter and was cancer free. Then on Tuesday of this week (5/11) I received a call from my sister stating that Chrissy was back in the hospital. Her platelet count was extremely low. No one knew why but there were suspicions that the leukemia had returned. Yesterday the news got worse. Chrissy was told to return home to spend the remaining days of her life with her children. The leukemia had returned and was extremely aggressive. A bone marrow test had been done and the results show that 80% of her bone marrow contained the leukemia cells. The doctors did not have solution to her latest bout with the leukemia. The family has been in a wreck for the past 24 hours. Earlier today I received some good news, some hopeful news. A doctor at the Moffitt Center, Dr. Ortiz, has accepted Chrissy as a patient and will start the entire process over again. He believes he has an answer for this latest attack. As I write, Chrissy is being driven to Tampa to be readmitted at the Moffitt Center.

This is the latest news and I apologize for telling you this way. As I said, the family is an emotional wreck. Everyone is numb. We thought Chrissy was out of the woods only to be told that she had a short time to live.

As my friend I am asking you if you would to please pray for Chrissy, our family, and the staff that are going to help her. If you don't pray then please meditate, think about or send up good thoughts for Chrissy. She's tired, weak and demoralized. She needs all the help she can get.

Thank you for all that you have done this past year! I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

Have a great weekend,
Joe XXXXXXXX


She went in yesterday to start up her chemo. I am putting all my faith in God and knowing that he has a bigger plan than I could ever believe, but she deserves to see her babies grow up. Nobody should be taken from their family at such a young age.

No comments:

Post a Comment