Thursday, September 23, 2010

A little bit of everything

It's so sad and heartbreaking being able to tell that things have been going wrong with Laine. He IMs me early yesterday at 0200 and I just knew right away there was something wrong. Things with the election going on I guess made things really rough and he's just drained. I try and be supportive and get his mind into thinking about the positives and the good things going on, but it's so hard sometimes. It's especially hard when it's 2am and you're not able to think straight. I got him joking around and then bam the Afghan internet went out and he never got back on Yahoo to talk further. I know it's not true but sometimes I just feel like a horrible girlfriend because of all things I should be able to get him laughing and joking and getting his mind off of those things. You can only do so much though I guess? Thank God he SHOULD be home in the next few weeks... less than 3 :) I won't see him until December but at least I'll know he's safe in Germany.

Awkward much. I am not going to go into much details other than last Saturday I worked a double. In between my shifts though I had a two hours break which was right in the middle of the UF v. UT game. I realllly wanted to see it so I went over to Ale House watched the game, ate some food, and had a few drinks. The bar downstairs in Ale House has three sides- like a rectangle with one of the short ends cut off. I sat at the far end because the TV with my game was right across from me. There were loads of people there because the USC game wasn't for another couple of hours. Well these two guys on the right side of the bar were giving me a hard time because I'm a Florida fan and I just had fun with it. Neither of the guys knew each other until they got to the bar to watch the games so it wasn't anything weird. Until one of the guys left. The guy that had stayed just kept talking to me and I was being nice. I mentioned Laine and how serious we are and the guy just kept trying at it. Before I was leaving he actually wanted to give me his number. Seriously?!!?! Okay a) you are almost two decades older than me, twice my age why would I want to date you? b) I AM WITH AN AMAZING MAN!!!! I told this guy that so many times and he ignored it (first time with somebody taking advantage of the fact he's gone and I'm not feelin it) and c) why would you try and pick someone up at a bar? I know plenty of people that have done that and have found decent people but I am not going to ever be getting with some guy at a bar. No ma'am! This is why I wear my ring on my left hand because I don't need this occurring :)

Ever since my nana died people have been text messaging me asking me to send them a list of the recipes I have of her's so they can check theirs and make sure they have all of them. I have a question though. I have never lived in the same town, at the closest I was in Jacksonville (about 2-3 hours from her) but for the past 6-7 years I was in Charlotte or Columbia. Why is it that I have all these recipes that I have gotten just in the past few years from CALLING her and they can't go over and be like hey nan can I have X recipe. I don't have many but I do have: chicken cacciatore (it's different than what you'd expect promise), rouladen, onion pickles and pimentos (we don't know the real name so we just call it that-- it has steak involved), the family pasta sauce, and this cookbook my nana told me about that is almost exactly like the rest of our family recipes. I count that because she told me that I should get it because it follows along the same lines as ours. So I don't have a lot but it bothers me. I called her up just a month and a half ago and we were talking about the chicken cacciatore dish and she was explaining how to make it because I had forgotten one step and didn't have my recipe book in front of me. A part of me doesn't want to give it to them because they should have gotten it themselves but I know that's selfish. I guess a part of me also doesn't get how they didn't take advantage of the time that they did have left with her. If I were closer I would have been over there all the time, I would have helped cook for her and we could have talked about whatever we felt like it (we both really like(d) to talk a lot). I know I'll tell them it just bothers me.

School's been going pretty well! Exams start next week and all my slacking in history (reading-wise) is catching up to me! I have been reading and typing up my notes like a fiend. My exam isn't until next Friday and I have almost all my reading finished so I should be fine as long as I look over everything. I have my computer science exam Monday and again that's just a whole look over everything and make sure I've got it figured out and I'll be good. I am actually doing pretty good in that class so it shouldn't be an issue. My poor friend who normally gets all A's is having a hard time in our computer science class. I am averaging in the mid to high 90s on our labs and the poor thing is constantly in the 80s and it's starting to really frustrate her. I feel bad but I don't know what I could do to help. The girl, Anna, that I met in my marine ecology class is seriously the cutest thing ever. She's such a teacher with how she dresses and the stuff she tells me in class I feel bad for. Not feel bad for more but I just want to help her out. She's been going through a hard time lately. She just moved to Columbia a month ago and she knows so few people. I know how it is just to up and move your life without having anybody really there as a buffer from the huge change. I know she'll get through it okay I just hope it's not too bad.

ohhhhhhhhh!!!! I almost forgot (sorry I keep saving this and coming back to it and I am finally about to post it). I have always wanted to get a tattoo for my nana and I am now thinking I'm going to get two things. I know I want to get rosary beads on me because of how whenever I think of her I think of them. She always had rosary beads with her when I was little. I know most people are weirded out and ask if I'm Catholic. No I'm not but that doesn't mean I can't get that for my grandmother that was Catholic. She'd kill me if she knew I'd get any tattoos (I have one already from a few years back) because of her but I'd hope her looking down she'd know that it's not bad. I was also thinking of getting this quote: "To live in the hearts we leave behind is to not die" somewhere on me. I am going to translate it into Italian once I get my bum back to my house and crack open my Italian dictionary. If you have an suggestions on where to get it that'd be greatly appreciated. From just google translate (that is normally surprisingly close to the real this) it'd be sort of like this: "A vivere nei cuori ci lasciamo alle spalle non รจ di morire" so it's not super short but it's not insanely long. Help!!!! lol

I think that's a mini update about most everything that's been going on. I hope y'all have a great day!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh hun I am so sorry! That sux about the internet sucking and booting him, and about those jerks at the bar. I am there with ya on the grandma thing. It hurts so bad to want to ask her a question about cooking, traveling, or sewing and she isnt there anymore to ask. I wish I could have cooked more with her and done more sewing and traveling. I am fortunate to have spent time with her. You should make a cook book of your grandmothers recipes. Something you can keep and if others want it you can have them pay you to get another one printed or something. It would be special for you and other family members. *big hug* I know you need it and unexpected ones are the best. Good luck with everything, your man, family, and school.

    ReplyDelete