Friday, June 25, 2010

Restrepo

As most of y'all know Laine is in the Army. When he was home back in April for those few weeks before he had to go back to Afghanistan we obviously spent quite a bit of time together. One of the last few days we were at his dad and stepmom's place and we decided to go into the computer room and watch some videos on youtube.com. We were looking up music videos and all these random different things. Well he looked up "the other war"... It was an ABC Nightline special that was with the guys that he was with on his first deployment over in Afghanistan. We weren't able to watch all of them (there are two parts) because his dad had gotten home so we were going to eat dinner. Let me show you the videos first and then I will explain further (please understand that this was 3 years ago and that things have changed over there- at least from what Laine has told me which could very well be to protect me from worrying more. I am just not trying to freak anybody out by any means)...

PART ONE


PART TWO


Last weekend when I was talking to him he got all excited and was all "GUESS WHAT!!!" and when I asked what he said that there was a movie (documentary) that had come out that was basically an extended version of the above video that you saw. Obviously there was a lot more video than we saw because the journalists were there for a while. The name of the video is Restrepo after the name of one of the men that was killed. It got a few different awards at The Sun Dance Festival. I know Laine wants to see it when he gets home and I know I will eventually see it (surely not while he is gone because I have a feeling it would make me worry about him more than I already am). The opening line of the trailer is "I have been on four or five sleeping pills and none of them help, that's how bad the nightmares are. I prefer not to sleep, not dream about it than sleep and see the picture in my head." Laine talks in his sleep, always has, well he told me that and then he told me that if he ever were to be having really bad nightmares to not touch him and let it pass, to NOT try and wake him up. I watched the trailer and it hit me where they came from... what happened in this valley in Afghanistan did it.

On the link to the main website for the movie you can see a trailer there or there is this one that is slightly different than it:

3 comments:

  1. I just read a review of that movie in the New York Times today!! I want to see it. Thanks for posting these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband showed me the trailer to this movie! We both want to see it. My husband grinds his teeth at night really bad ever since he came back from his first deployment and when I have to wake him up, I have to do so very gently and slowly. If I get into bed while he is already asleep and accidently bump him, he will jump and yell. I always feel so bad for him. =( It breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard about this! I'm glad you shared this.

    ReplyDelete