Thursday, November 4, 2010

Restrepo

Two Thursdays ago 21.10.10 I saw Restrepo

Photobucket

source

When I got on campus last week they had the weekly listing of what movie was going to be at The Nick a little bit three weeks ago and all of two weeks ago. To my surprise it was Restrepo. I didn't expect it to be coming to Columbia any time soon so I just had full intentions of buying it off of National Geographic and watching it with Laine. I was okay with that and I know we are going to end up doing that when we get to Virginia.

My overall opinion of the movie without giving too much away? I enjoyed it overall. Not like I enjoyed seeing what occurs over there with the guys but I appreciated what it did. I felt like it was filmed well. What they were trying to convey at least I felt was done perfectly. There was zero politics in it, it was solely what these guys were going through from day to day during this deployments. I felt like I could comfortably go to Laine when I was telling him about it and tell him that I think they did it justice and him having been a part of it that he won't be disappointed when he watches it.

The guys were on a year long deployment so obviously to fit all of it into a 93 minute film you have to pick and choose what you are going to put into it. At times it was fire fights and then the guys just hanging out... but I felt like it ran actually pretty smoothly because it's not like the guys just sit there and decide "hmm, I feel like getting shot at in the middle of talking with my buddies/bros/etc." It didn't help much that the knowledge of the area that they were staying at and traveling through was minimal if at all. The interviews with the guys showed helped to show the people that it's not just video of these random guys... you get their personal thoughts towards what all happened. I can't remember the guys but throughout the interview sections that he was showed he would smile and laugh while he was saying things. Yet the second he stopped you could see it in his eyes. You can really get a feel of how someone is feeling through the way they look at you through their eyes. It's heartbreaking.

It surprises me that these two guys, British photographer Tim Hetherington and American journalist Sebastian Junger, were there for such a long time. I wonder what their point of view on all of it is. They were there neck and neck with these guys because they wanted the public to see what it is for these guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment